As the medical community places greater emphasis on the research and development of natural remedies to human health conditions, medical cannabis has seen application in the fields of medicine. Generally, cannabis has been applied to relieve pain, stimulate a lethargic appetite and even relieve stress and anxiety from a taxed mind.
Medical cannabis has been divided into two separate strains each with a very different set of benefits and therapeutic applications. Getting the best treatment for your conditions will require understanding the difference between these two strains Indica vs. Sativa.
Both Indica and Sativa engage the body’s endocannabinoid system and can engender health benefits, but you can expect a very different experience from each one. Sativa strains, for example have been associated with a heady high that leaves the user energized yet still relaxed and calm. Indica strains have a more relaxing and can help even the most raging insomniac get rest and sleep.
The following article will contain a rundown on the major differences between these two strains. This will allow the patient to select an herbal medication from the strain that best addresses their particular ailments.
Plants from the Indica strain not only provide a more energizing effect than the Sativa strain, they also look very different. Indica strains tend to be shorter with full broad leaves. Indica plants have been known to grow much faster and also produce a higher yield than sativa.
Another major difference will be in the cannabinoid profile. Cannabinoids are the compounds within cannabis that interface with the body’s endocannabinoid system. THC and CBD are the most common of these two. THC is known for its signature psychoactive effects while CBD has more profound effects on wellness and the appetite.
In Cannabis Indica it is the CBD cannabinoid that is prominent and THC has a lesser quantity.
The most important health benefits and attributes from Cannabis Indica include:
- Stress and Anxiety Relief
- Relaxation from tired strained muscles
- Relaxes an upset stomach and digestive system
- Relieves symptoms of acute pain.
- Improves the appetite and can help an individual get set in a new schedule.
- Improves levels of dopamine in the body. (Dopamine is the “happiness neurotransmitter” produced in the body and keeps the moods high.
- Improves sleep patterns and helps induce sleep.
The opposite of the Indica strain is the Sativa which grow much taller and has thinner leaves with narrow shapes. You will also notice the foliage of the sativa plant is much lighter than the Indica plant. Cultivating the sativa plant requires more time and the maturity also comes in later. Sativa strain also require more light to produce higher quantities of THC and significantly lower levels of CBD.
The most important health benefits from Cannabis Sativa include:
- Potent stress and anxiety relief
- Used to relieve conditions of chronic pain and pain from latent injuries.
- Improves creativity and can keep the mind active
- Increases the amounts of serotonin in the brain which can assist in the regulation of sleep, improve the mood and even has been studied for its capacity to facilitate the absorption of information.
Indica vs Sativa and how they can be applied to treating conditions is one of the most basic lessons in the school of medical marijuana. For all your medicinal and recreational needs visit BC Buds Medical.